Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Aftermath


So, as I reach the finish line (of what was the most grueling task I have ever faced), my adrenaline and endorphins pumping I felt the “runners high”. The feeling is so good that it was worth the effort.
Five minutes into the run, I was to myself “It’s not too late to turn back, I am not yet deep into the trail”. As the run progressed I found an internal balanced, my muscles and mind were in sync and I felt like a well oiled machine!    
Until mile 6 or 7 I was doing fine, then running is just a mental game. Mental stamina and strength is as important as training hard for a marathon. Running is a mental game and we are all INSANE!
Anyways, so soon after the run you feel like on cloud nine and the sense of accomplishment is like no other. But, all you need is a good nap and then you come crashing down to earth. With all the euphoria, I did not bother to stretch and crashed (literally) when I got home.
I have never felt my legs so stiff before and I could not lift them more than an inch from the bed without pain. Climbing steps, getting in and out of the shower, putting on clothes etc were just painful.
I thought that trail runs are a one time thing and no more marathon for me. Walking was a task and now I sympathise with older people walking slowly cause their muscles are weak.
But, our body is the most amenable, accommodating and adaptable creation and all it needs is good rest and ALLOT of stretching. Day two after muddy paws, with great effort and stretching I was able to run 3 miles at a very very very slow pace. I hope in a week’s time we are back on track and on our way!
My fellow runners, don’t lose hope with sore muscles. It always gets betterJ
------Aparna Chittaranjan

No comments:

Post a Comment